How to Choose a Spiritual Director
Finding a spiritual director is a very personal and spiritual quest. We suggest a person seeking a spiritual director contact at least two spiritual directors to interview, if appropriate. Here are some ways to find spiritual directors to interview:
- Call area theology schools, institutes and retreat centers and ask if they have a list of spiritual directors.
- Ask an ordained minister or rabbi or vowed religious for names of spiritual directors they recommend.
Here are questions that you might consider asking yourself when beginning the process of seeking a spiritual director:
- What is your experience with working with a spiritual director? Is this a first experience of spiritual direction? What brings you to spiritual direction at this time in your life?
- Would you like to meet with a male or female?
- What spiritual affiliation or denomination would be most helpful for you?
- What time of day would best serve you for meetings?
- The desire and search for the “right fit” is an important part of the process.
Each person seeking a spiritual director needs to take reasonable steps to verify the competency of any potential spiritual director. As a ministry in many nations and many faiths, spiritual direction does not have a centralized certifying body that verifies qualifications of spiritual directors since each faith tradition handles spiritual directors differently.
The following are ecommended questions to ask when you interview a potential spiritual director:
- What education do you have in spiritual direction?
- What is your personal experience of prayer?
- What is your experience as a spiritual director? How many years? In what environments?
- What are you most interested in spiritually?
- How do you continue your education and supervision for your spiritual direction ministry?
- What ethical guidelines do you abide by, such as those published by Spiritual Directors International? Have you ever been accused or convicted of misconduct?
- What type of engagement agreement will we establish to clarify roles and responsibilities in our spiritual direction relationship, such as samples provided to members of Spiritual Directors International?